Sunday 27 March 2011

The bubble of comfort.

All in all I have to be modest and say I am fairly proud of my life to date and what I have achieved. I have an amazing, even somewhat blissfully painful husband, a wonderful career and a well earned list of qualifications to support it. I have managed to furnish a home, do a little bit of travel, buy a car and support myself all before the age of 24. None of these things are as impressive as some of the things my friends have achieved such as having children and living overseas, well at least not in how I rank achievements through my eyes, but none the less I am proud. And in reality, I would be lying if i said I really cared what anyone else was doing anyway, I always have and always will only live for my own satisfaction.

The thing is lately that I haven't been content with where and what I have achieved. It occurred to me that somehow amongst everything I have done, I have remained living in the same place without really even noticing.. until now of course. This is the place I went to preschool, primary school, high school and university.. this is a problem. I am determined not to be the woman you meet that has never left the town where she grew up, made friends outside those she went to school with or explored anywhere other than where she has always gone because she never left her bubble of comfort. At the beginning of this year i realised i was in this bubble, just chilling, floating around, taking whatever came my way.. as long as it didn't require me to make any drastic changes in my perfectly molded life. I mean really, last year I moved 30 minutes drive from the place in question and it was the biggest thing I had ever done.. I didn't know where to get fuel or even where I could go to buy dinner when I was to lazy to cook. For me it was a crisis.

So now upon the realisation that I am becoming trapped in this routine life, I find myself half starring at the biggest  challenge and cross road of my life to date. I have applied for a job in another place completely. Although only three hours drive, if you haven't caught on already, I appear to have developed a phobia to change. Both myself and my husband are excited at what could be if I am successful in the position and are having a great time contemplating the adventures each night as we catch up from the day over our routine shower. But on the inside, we are both hoping it never happens so we don't have to face the unknown. It's funny to me to be so aware that I have found myself to be living in a bubble of comfort, yet slightly content by it and not willing to try to hard to burst it and run away. Five years ago I would have had every pin I could find on the job, but I guess having him means I no longer care where my bubble is, as long as we are floating and chilling in it together. Having said that, I am really hoping this job is the pin we both needed, it's time to blow our bubble in another direction.

1 comment:

  1. let me know if you want to talk about anything!!
    Where is this mystery 3 hour away location?

    ReplyDelete