Friday 8 April 2011

Prenup anyone?

The other night when I couldn't sleep I sat up and wasted valuable sleep minutes talking to the friend featured in on off on off. We chatted in general about quite a lot of literal 'shit' before ending up on the topic of him and the girlfriend who are now moving to Perth to pursue his new job. Then end of this conversation related to his desire to buy a house as he will be earning big money. After telling me all this he casually slips in the part where he plans to make the girlfriend sign a prenuptial agreement at this point. This has supposedly been a discussion they both agree on. Now my first real thought, which I also expressed was good luck with that, you don't even have the man balls to go through with breaking up with her let alone make her sign a pre nup, but my second was offensive to your relationship much? Even to theirs.

Pre nup's are never really something I have given much thought to because really, I don't have a whole lot worth protecting, and most of what I do have I have because the husband and I have worked towards it together. However it did really make me stop and ponder what I would do if I had actually been faced with the proposal. I guess to some extent I do get the whole point and sad reality of marriage statistics behind them, but I still can't help but think if your considering a pre nup, you might as well be honest and say either of the following to your partner.. a)I love you.. for now.. and probably don't see this lasting that long so I just want to make sure you can't touch my shit when it all falls apart.. or b) I do love you, and I'm not planning on this being any less than forever, but I think your childish and nasty and if it were to break up I'd need to have this in place or you would take all my shit. Obviously it isn't really as black and white as that, but surely even if it was a mutual discussion, on some level you would be offended.. unless of course your both loaded and protecting your own, but I'm sure in most cases someone is loosing out.

Really wish I knew people who actually had pre nup's or had the proposal and were so offended that they left the relationship as the topic has me uber intrigued. What are your thoughts fellow bloggers?

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't be offended by a prenup if I was marrying a person who had significant wealth, as they're generally conditional and negotiable (such as you get $x and division of purchased items, ect) and what's generally protected is shares in family companies or investments, or properties.

    If it was a prenup for someone's 3 bed 1 bath suburban house then I would just think their petty...

    ReplyDelete